Thursday, November 02, 2006

Halloween 2006

I promised myself that I wouldn't drink too much this year.

It's not the first time I've lied to myself.

It was a beautiful night with beautiful people. Everyone was there: The Yooper, The Vikings, The Naughty Nurse and Satin herself. The two Frankenstein Monsters looked upon one another with awkward and haughty competitiveness that is usually known only to the two women who wear the same dress to a party.

The one thing I remember hearing all night; "Another Cigarette girl?! How many are you?" It was a legitimate question. We covered more ground apart than we did together.

The only possible answer is: "Three. I'm the Hostess Cigarette girl – would you like a Twinkie? A Snow Ball? Have you had your Ding Dong today?"
My partners in crime did a great job circling the room hocking boxes of candy cigarettes. I watched them smile, shake the hip, laugh, wink, and finally - press a bubble gum cigar into a hand.

I wasn’t so successful. No one would admit that they would ever lay a finger on a Hostess Snack Cake. However - I set my tray down to get another drink and two Snow Balls were gone.

My skills came in later when the voting for best costume came around. As I helped distribute slips of paper to the guests, I spoke softly before relinquishing the pencil; "Vote 'Cigarette Girl.' Got it?"

We won second place, received a Big Boy Bobble Head Trophy and shed tears of joy.

3 Comments:

Blogger cl said...

That is magnificent! I love your costume, too.

Haven't dressed up in years. I went very grumpy to a party with a friend who fancied herself schoolgirl Britney Spears (yikes), so I carried her cell phone for her and said I was her handler.

8:08 PM  
Blogger kc said...

Cigarette girls?! That is a fantastic idea. Hope you had those old-timey high heels.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Noir Muse said...

Lightning BB - How odd! Our inner dialog readers must be siblings.

Hee! Britney Spears should be so lucky, cl. I'm sure you played it to the hilt.

Awwww, kc. You know I labored over the old-timey high heels more than any other part of the costume. We've never met, but I bet you'd know me if we did cross paths.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home