Monday, May 09, 2005

Coco Chanel

My tiny, spendthrift mother flew from Florida to Michigan to hide in my living room. It was my shower this weekend, you see, and she wanted to surprise me. I walked into the living room and there she was – just standing there smiling. I know, everyone thinks their mother is beautiful, but my mother is truly gorgeous. It took me a second to recognize her, because my face recognition software went haywire for a moment while my mouth gaped and I processed what was happening. She loved it.

The shower was what it was. I’ve never liked going to those type of parties and this time I couldn’t even leave early.

Did we play games? Yes.
Did we eat snacks on prim paper plates? Yes.
Did every one "Ooooh!" while they watched the bride-to-be open each one of her presents? Yes.

"Ooooh, a mixer!"
"Ooooh, a spice rack!"
And I did open a package that contained an aged nighty with a note on it that read:
"Here is one I have had 30 years or so and have worn twice. Hope you have fun with it!" Nope, it wasn’t a gag gift.

My mother gave me a bottle of Chanel.
Now, I know the rule. It isn’t appropriate to use any of the wedding gifts before the wedding - in the case something happens and the event is cancelled all the gifts are to be returned unused. I have followed this rule to the letter despite the all the fine and tempting gifts that arrived. Not so with the Chanel.

I've never had such a precious little bottle of liquid before in my life and I have to make concessions for using it already.

I really think that if I cancelled the wedding my mother would tell me to keep the perfume. I am sure she would say. "Keep the bottle darling, it’s yours and you deserve it."

On the other hand - if I do cancel the wedding, no doubt the nighty will be kindly returned to it's rightful owner.

3 Comments:

Blogger greyguitar said...

But how can you resist using the mixer??

Congrats on a successful shower nonetheless.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Just found your blog through Latigo Flint's site. Good stuff, I'm enjoying reading you! And good luck in your new chapter of life.

You'll need it.

(not that I'm bitter... ;-) )

2:58 PM  
Blogger Noir Muse said...

Robin, I can hardly resist the mixer. It's like I curse my job for keeping us apart and run home early to caress it's blades.


Mr. Morris, humm. What do I make of you? Dark, bitter and named 'Dave'. Just let me alone around New Years, Ok?

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home