Saturday, February 19, 2005

What about a Ryder?

Part of my job includes booking travel plans for Mr. Big Boss who travels 5 days a week to all parts of the country. This week he went from Detroit to Chicago to Florida. Next week he will be in Texas. Because he spends so much time away from home, Mrs. Big Boss decided to leave on Thursday to Florida so they could spend the weekend together.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, things got a little mixed up with the bookings. She booked a flight, I made reservations at the hotel. I got the return air flight, she investigated golf courses in the area. No one got the car rental.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem.

Getting a car at the last minute isn't usually difficult, but when I started calling around, everyplace I asked said no - they are all reserved. It was bizarre. Nothing was available; not a Suburban, not a Hummer, not a limo. I started to panic, to not have a car would be completely unacceptable. I called dealerships, small rental businesses - every place I could think of, but they were sold out.

It seems it is the Daytona 500 this weekend. The reason every car was spoken for was that the hordes of people who flew to Tampa drove to Daytona to save money and snapped up every rental in the city. The situation was making my palms sweat. The three of us looked at each other and contemplated our state of affairs.

Someone said, "Maybe we could get a u-haul."

A giggle then silence.

I got on the phone and called Tampa U-haul and explained my situation to the fella at the desk. They reserved the last pickup truck in the lot.


Well … there will be plenty of room for golf clubs in the back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Way to go!

Mr Big Boss has got to love cruising Florida in a UHaul pickup. Cool ride and roadside breakdown service, too!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home