Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Mysterious sound

This afternoon, in the course of my job, I made a phone call to a website registrar office. The woman I was talking to seemed like a very normal person. Her voice was like any other, her breathing sounded normal and casual. There was no reason to suspect anything out of the ordinary.

She was telling me where to look on my screen, and as I was listening I heard a faint mechanical “VEEP-VEEP” noise coming from the phone. It was so strange that I didn’t say anything for a moment.

“Hello?” she asked to see if I was still there.
“Yes...” I said and tried to recover, “Um. The hyperlinks, yes I see them.”
“Ok, scroll down further and you will see (VEEEEEP…VEEP-VEEP) the log-in box.”
“Ah...ah-ha. Ok.” And while I pretended to follow her through the steps, I was actually listening for clues to what this robot noise might be.

At first I thought it was possibly her mechanical arms that she was using to type – but I had to conclude that this wasn’t the case. I listened very intensely and heard the clicking of keystrokes which sounded very much like my own human-arm clicking.

Then I thought it could be a state-of-the-art desk chair – one that rises out of the floor and automatically adjusts the arm height and lumbar support for ultimate ergonomic comfort. Something that would make constant, minute adjustments as one shifted in the seat. But hey, this is a domain name company – not Star Treck. I eliminated this theory.

It just boggles me. What kind of high-tech mechanical instrument could make a “VEEP” noise at the godforsaken help desk anyway? I was tempted to ask at the very source, but it really isn’t any of my business. I was worried that it was some kind of personal assistive device which would prove me rude to ask about. So instead I’m just relating it on a public journal.


Any ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Loudowl said...

She was most likely playing Space Invaders. The noise you heard was the sound of her getting repeatedly killed because she was too busy helping you and didn't know how to pause the game.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Latigo Flint said...

I was going to opine an elaborate double wiretap scenario involving an insane robotic engineer and a baby condor breeding facility... but the more I think about it, the more I've come to believe T.R. has it pegged.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home