Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Sweet Georgia Brown

Whoa. What a lady. (I would have to assume that if I had met her I would have been impressed.) I imagine that the Georgia Brown running this restaurant was a seventh generation southern lady who made a wrong turn at Kentucky and wound up in Down Town Detroit. She probably wears a red dress when she goes out - even to church. She sings and cooks and breaks a lot of hearts.

I went to this Sweet Georgia Brown's restaurant on a tip. Someone told me there was a smokin' blues band and singer playing. The music was great, but I'm not sure the price justified the entertainment. I paid $7 to park and ended up with a colossal bill for what we ordered: - two glasses of wine, one salmon corn chowder soup, one Caesar salad, the crabcake appetizer, and a desert. Even without the tip it was over $50.

The service was impeccable. The food was delectable. The atmosphere was enjoyable. But lets face it - that's a heavy bill for dinner.

When I told our delightful waiter that I was going to have the soup, he looked at me for a second and asked - "Is that all?" I tried not to apologize for not ordering more. To make up for it we also ordered two glasses of wine (second least expensive on the menu) and desert.

Oh the desert. Bananas Fosters Cheesecake. To die for. Imagine - banana cheesecake in a caramel-liquor puddle, little banana slices around the edges, a pile of whipped cream...real whipped cream that is... and a sugar caramel architectural structure protruding from the top.

Over all I'd give it a 8 out of 10. That includes the bonus point for the clever name.

Who's that chick in the yellow dress?
Well well well well, that's the girl that I love best
Who does the hop and the Texas bop like
Well, nobody, nobody, nobody else in town

Well, she's got the other chicks on the spot
Oh yeah, 'cause she's got somethin' they ain't got
When she goes to take a walk
You gotta want to make that girl talk
Georgia claimed her, Georgia lamed her
Sweet Georgia Brown

Who stops the traffic down at 5th and Main?
Who drives all the young lads insane?
I ain't gonna leave this town
Long as Georgia's hangin' around
Georgia claimed her, Georgia lamed her
Sweet Georgia Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home